- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups red lentils
- 4 roma tomatoes blanched, peeled and chopped
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon hot curry powder
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons mild curry powder
- 32 oz. vegetable broth low-sodium
- 1-1/2 cups water
Heat olive oil in bottom of large soup pan on medium-high. Saute onion, garlic, carrot, celery.
Add lentils and 32 oz. vegetable broth, and spices (paprika, curry powders).
Simmer over medium heat until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
Prepare garbanzo beans by blending with butter, lemon juice and 1/4 cup water in food processor. Add to lentils. Add chopped tomatoes to lentils. Stir to combine and add salt to taste. May add more water to thin consistency of soup.
Garnish with a dollop of plain Green yogurt and a bit of minced mint or parsley. Serve with bread warm from the oven. Makes a big pot, you may want to freeze half. Glass storage containers with the leak-proof plastic lids are perfect for this.
Adapted from Bon Appétit